Wednesday 23 October 2013

Book Spotlight!

The first one of these I did was back in March 2013, but since May, I haven't continued it. So I decided I would spotlight a book today. I chose this book not because it was my favourite book, but because I am not planning on doing a review and still wanted to share my love for the book I am doing a spotlight. It is also not super well known, so I want to tell more people about this book!



Goodreads Synopsis:


After her mother died, Glory retreated into herself and her music. Her single father raised her as a piano prodigy, with a rigid schedule and the goal of playing sold-out shows across the globe. Now, as a teenager, Glory has disappeared. As we flash back to the events leading up to her disappearance, we see a girl on the precipice of disaster. Brilliant and lonely, Glory is drawn to an artistic new boy, Frank, who moves in next door. The farther she falls, the deeper she spirals into madness. Before long, Glory is unable to play anything but the song "Chopsticks."But nothing is what it seems, and Glory's reality is not reality at all. In this stunningly moving novel told in photographs, pictures, and words, it's up to the reader to decide what is real, what is imagined, and what has been madness all along....



Sounds intriguing, right? It is. It's awesome. Told mostly in pictures with some type, IM's, and news clippings, this book leaves many things up for interpretation. As it says in the synopsis, it is up to the reader to decide. This made the book extremely beautiful, poignant, and powerful, and it's enjoyable to follow the clues and look closely to make sure you haven't missed anything that would've destroyed your understanding. Though it is super quick, don't speed through it - pay attention to the little things. Overall, it's a beautiful story, so give it a try. 
My Rating: 4/5 stars.


I recommend this book to teenagers that like books with visuals and 'clues', or are reluctant to read. If you like a type of book that doesn't tell you everything and that leaves many things up for interpretation, this is also a great read! Really though, it's super short, so give it a try. 

2 comments:

  1. Ah that sounds so intriguing and mysterious! And confusing....but it sounds like a too good of a book to pass up. Thanks for sharing this Danika, this is definitely top-priority now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I'd definitely read it, it's so different from anything you'll ever read! Very poignant and mysterious, as you said. And no problem! Glad I could share it. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!