Wednesday 28 November 2012

Bookish Tag

This tag I am writing about today is the "Bookish Tag" from Sonythebooklover on YouTube (check out her channel). So let's get started with the questions.

1. What genre of books do you prefer?
I read such a wide variety that it's very difficult to choose. My long time favourite has been action fantasy or adventure novels, but my current phase and new favourite genre is science fiction/dystopia. But there are a few realistic fiction books that I completely love.

2. What are some of your must-have books in your library?
Everyone in the universe needs to read Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling does an amazing job of creating a fantastical world, intricate plotlines, and intriguing characters. Seriously a masterpiece. Other books I own and recommend include are Stormbreaker (and the entire Alex Rider series, but I only own the first) by Anthony Horowitz, and I have never read the Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen yet, but someone in my house did buy it and it sounds excellent.

3. What is the most expensive book on your shelf?
I don't really know, but probably the Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I plan to read it sometime, but not right away.

4. What book do you covet the most?
I would love to have the Uglies quartet by Scott Westerfeld and the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. And definitely the Tales of Beedle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and Quidditch Through the Ages by J.K. Rowling. It would be awesome to add those to my collection. And ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want Divergent #3 SO. BAD. This is torture, Veronica Roth!

5. How much to you spend on books?
Honestly, not much. I love books (as you can tell), but I don't really buy them often because of price and uncertainty if it is a book I'm going to want to own. And space. My bookshelf is on the side of my desk and it's really small.

6. What do you think of the current trend in YA books right now?
I am really liking YA books right now. Love the Hunger Games, Uglies trilogy, Inside Out/Outside In, Divergent and Insurgent, Blood Red Road... as you can see, tons of dystopia. And I'm loving that too. What I'm not liking is amazing ideas behind YA books that become distorted by unnecessary, full-frontal romance. I want more intense action and background on the society, not romance. If I had wanted a romance book, I would've taken one. Seriously. And would they STOP with vampire romance? I get it if a few series draw on that, but when almost everything in YA fiction now is about that? Please.

7. What series do you wish you had more books of?
The Mother-Daughter book club! These are like classics to me. I only own the fifth in the series, Home for the Holidays, and would love to own the whole collection because they're the type of heart-warming books that I could re-read if I was feeling downhearted. I am on the sixth and so I've heard, last volume, in the series and I could seriously go on reading these forever. So I would love to see more books of this, I'd never get tired of the girls adventures and real life situations. And, of course, Harry Potter further stories. Of course. I think that's obvious.

8. What are your go-to books in your library?
People who have done this have generally gone for more genre rather than specific titles, but I'll go for both. Specific books are all seven of the Harry Potter novels and the Chicken Soup for the Soul books that I own. Genres right now is dystopia/science fiction and classic books, which is kind of unlike me.

9. What book is currently in your bag?
Wish You Were Eyre by Heather Vogel Frederick, the sixth Mother Daughter Book Club book, and the Book of Even More Awesome by Neil Pasricha, which is easy to read a short section when I have a free, but short, moment.

10. What is your most prized book in your collection?
Harry Potter. :D Ya, I'm obsessed. Also, I love the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien copy that I have. It is so old and worn, but I love it.

11. What are some of your non-fiction books on your shelf?
Well, I have three chicken soup books on my shelf, though three others are around the house somewhere, and I love those. I have a few craft-ish books from a while ago, I have a baking book, a dictionary, atlas, etc. and that's about it.

12. Name your favourite authors (up to three).
J.K. Rowling, because she's brilliant. Heather Vogel Frederick, because, though I have only read one series of hers (... or wait no... I read another series of hers but that was when I was much younger....), I love her story-telling ability and how she can successfully create five amazing characters and plotlines that weave perfectly with one another. Finally, Scott Westerfeld. I have only read the Uglies series from him, but it was amazing, and I definitely plan to read "Peeps" and "The Last Days" by him as well.

*Update: Jan. 16/13 I now HAVE to add Maria V. Snyder because Inside Out and Outside In were great, Poison Study is amazing so far, and all her series sound just amazing! I love her writing style and unique ideas.

13. Favourite bookstore?
Indigo bookstores. Not only do the carry so many books, they also have cool little things there like bookmarks and earphones, as well as a few CD's and movies. And a lot of them that I've been in have Starbucks in them. Awesome.

I am going to tag a few people from some of my favourite blogs.
Julia @ Books As Wings (http://write4porsche.blogspot.ca)
Brianna @ The Book Nook (http://glowgold24676.blogspot.ca)
Kirsten @ K's BooK's To Read (http://ktoread.blogspot.ca)
Jami @ Bookworm's Blog (http://purpleninjaas.blogspot.ca)

Have fun everyone! If you aren't tagged by still want to do the challenge, go ahead.

Hope you enjoyed! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for tagging me :)
    Check out my post: http://write4porsche.blogspot.ca/2012/12/bookish-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!