Tuesday 18 December 2012

Top Ten Books I Read in 2012

Hosted by the Broke and Bookish (link in sidebar), this meme features a topic in which you list your top favourite books, authors, etc. within that topic. Check out the Broke and Bookish blog to join in. :) And I am going to cheat with this one and list series instead of just one book sometimes ;).

Top Ten Books I Read in 2012
December 18, 2012
  1. Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld: I read this series over the summer after hearing about it numerous times. The series was consistently amazing. The world-building, plot, characters, and everything were very, very well done. My favourite in the series was between Uglies and Extras, Specials following close behind, and Pretties still a very good book but not quite as good as the others (in my opinion). 
  2. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins: I finally read The Hunger Games!!! The first book was absolutely amazing, I was blown away by Collins amazing writing skills and original ideas. The second book, Catching Fire, was an impressive sequel to the Hunger Games, but not quite as amazing. The trilogy was concluded with the final book, Mockingjay, which overall was a fine book but to me was a bit disappointing. All in all, however, I loved the series!
  3. Blood Red Road by Moira Young: This book surprised me with it's amazingness. Sure, I thought it would be a good book, but not as good as it was. I read it in maybe two days and I couldn't put it down. I'm waiting anxiously for Rebel Heart to come in from the library. Anyway, the original concept and fast-paced action landed Blood Red Road the third spot on my top ten favourite books/series of 2012.
  4. Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker: I finally read this! I can't believe how long I waited. I loved this book so much! For more of my thoughts, check out my recent reflection on the novel. 
  5. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien: Love love love!!! There was awesome description in the novel and I love Middle Earth! Gollum and the riddles was definitely my favourite part of the book. Though sometimes I found myself a little bored, I loved the archaic language and the parts with action were really great. All in all, I loved the book. I can't wait to see the movie!!!
  6. Divergent/Insurgent by Veronica Roth: I'm so glad I decided to read this! Full of action and suspense, this book was another book I finished in about two days and couldn't stop reading once I started. The second book, Insurgent, was not a disappointment, and I hope that in the last book of the trilogy Roth will develop her "world" more and explain more aspects of the dystopia society.
  7. The Princess Bride by William Goldman: I haven't read a fairytale in a very long time, so I decided to place this on hold after wanting to read it for a long, long time. I saw the movie, but it was a long time ago so I didn't remember anything about it. This novel has action, romance, phenomenal characters, sword fights, great backstory, and hilarious, charismatic narration. I loved the book, and I can't wait to re-watch the movie.
  8. Variant by Robison Wells: After this book was recommended to me by Brianna at The Book Nook (http://booknook24676.blogspot.ca), I put it on hold from the library, after being warned of  the extreme cliff-hanger ending. I waited to read it before I got the sequel, Feedback, and then read them both consecutively. I loved Variant, it was packed with suspense and action, but the sequel really fell flat for me. But that's ok, because Variant still ranked high enough to be on this list!
  9. Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder: This was a dystopia novel which reminded me a tiny little bit of Uglies (though the ideas were very, very different) about a girl named Trella who is a scrub and accidentally leads a revolution. The book was very well-written with great action, though quite slow at parts, and an interesting premise. I'm really glad I read this in 2012.
  10. Wish You Were Eyre by Heather Vogel Frederick: So sad! The final book in the Mother-Daughter Book Club series, which I've been slowly reading over the years! I love all the characters, so it was amazing to follow all five of them through their lives from Grade 6 to Grade. I'm still in denial that this is the last book. 
Onto the honourable mentions! Other books I read and enjoyed this year include Entwined by Heather Dixon, the Riley Bloom series by Alyson Noel, Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, the Awesome books by Neil Pasricha, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and the Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. 

That's it, everyone! 

14 comments:

  1. Divergent was awesome and I still need to read Insurgent!

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-10-tuesday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such a great series! Thanks for looking at my blog! :)

      Delete
    2. You need to read Insurgent!!! I loved it!!

      Delete
    3. I agree with Brianna! You definitely need to read Insurgent. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yay we share some :D Great reads. I still have to read the majority of your list, I plan to for 2013 :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, we do! I'm glad you enjoyed The Hunger Games, Divergent/Insurgent, and The Hobbit too!

      Delete
  3. Awesome list - I only read The Hunger Games series and Divergent, which I loved too.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you loved those novels too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Good list, I love the Uglies series as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't believe I just discovered Uglies this year. Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  5. I really want to read The Princess Bride and the Uglies series! Here’s my TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/top-books/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice! Your list is really interesting! Thanks for checking out my blog! :)

      Delete
  6. I loved the Uglies series! The first was definitely my favourite. I also adored Blood Red Road. That's on my list as well :) Great list!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed those books as well! I am so glad I read the Blood Red Road, I was hoping it would be great, and I was not disappointed. :) Thanks for checking my blog!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting and stopping at my blog!